Search This Blog

Monday 26 October 2009

About Incognito Lingual Braces




What are Incognito Lingual Braces?

Incognito Lingual Braces are fixed to the inside of the teeth, so people cannot tell that you are undergoing treatment. Lingual comes from the Latin word for tongue as the appliance is placed right next to your tongue behind the teeth. They are quite an expensive option as they are made from an alloy with a high proportion of gold (18k), they are custom made so expensive to manufacture, and also because of the extra time and expertise required for their successful management. They are made in Germany. The fixtures do not involve elastic bands but have a new bracket system where the wire clips into place, giving your orthodontist excellent control.

Why choose Incognito over other options?

I also considered Invisalign as a orthodontic treatment which involves a series of clear plastic trays (like retainers) which you wear over your teeth and change every two weeks. You can remove them to eat and brush your teeth. Invisalign is a little less expensive than Incognito. (About £500 less) [I have found this very straight-talking article about Invisalign interesting.]
I opted for Incognito as the brace is completely hidden and the orthodontist has full control over your teeth. As you never remove your brace, the tension remains constant on your teeth and the results will be more effective. The price difference isn't actually that much when you think about the entire cost and the long-term benefits to your life.

How much do they cost?

My initial consultation was £100, where the orthodontist talked to me about my teeth, took impressions, x-rays, photographs and worked out a treatment/payment plan for me. This involved two appointments.

The full cost of treatment for me is £5500. This includes all treatment, all appointments, the gold appliance and retention. The price will vary between orthodontists, but I hope this gives people a good guide price.

My orthodontist has broken it down into payments which work well for me:

  • £1500 when I order my brace and have impressions taken
  • £1000 when my appliance is fitted
  • £200 every 4-6 weeks for approximately 18 months which I pay each time I go in to have my brace tightened
  • The remaining balance is due when my appliance is removed

I made sure that I had £2500 when I started the process, plus a bit extra in the bank to ensure I could make each payment.

I was also offered an option to take out a loan so that I could have started treatment immediately. This option involved larger regular payments and a credit check.





No comments:

Post a Comment