Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 January 2010

First Week With Braces

This week has been really hard - the pain is not overwhelming but rather constant and nagging. It prevents you from focusing properly on things and I have not felt like myself at all. I had a problem with one of the back fixtures coming away and had to go back to get that re-cemented.

It's exactly one week now since I had it attached and today, for the first time, I have had a very comfortable day!! It is such a relief to finally feel that I am used to it being there.

If you have this type of brace you just need to be patient through the first period of adjustment - as painful and uncomfortable as it may be, you WILL get used to it!

I am surprised at how many people are watching my video logs on YouTube - I have had 3,500 views in just 6 days! Mine seems to be the only vlog about lingual braces which is perhaps why it is becoming popular. It's great to know that it is helping other people!

For my next video, I am planning a video of the top ten things you need to get you through your first week!

I am now looking forward to the next few weeks to see any further movements in my lower arch and to get my upper set fitted in 3 weeks!

TIPS FOR SORE TONGUE:
1) Use wax to provide instant relief
2) Use mouthwash to keep irritated areas of the tongue clean
3) Talk less!
4) Try to ignore the new appliance rather than feeling it with your tongue constantly (tempting!)

Here are links to my videos about my first few days with the lower set:

First Day Part 1
First Day Part 2
First Few Days

5 comments:

  1. hi rose, thanks a lot for sharing all the information. well i have been breaking my head over a year now, wondering if i should ever get my braces, well actually i still am. i am looking at having lingual braces too. but my main concern is my ortho has suggested me to have 4 teeth removed( premolars). my concern is whether the gaps will be closed completely. if there is anything that you could say to help please do. this blog of yours and your videos in youtube have been of great help. cheers! jads from India...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jads!
    I think if you want the work done enough you have to look way past the pain and discomfort to the finished product. If your orth says that you need them all out then there must be a reason and I'm sure he wouldn't take them out unless it was necessary! You can watch loads of time lapse videos on youtube of very large gaps closing effectively.
    I think if you want it done and can afford it you should go for it!
    Rose :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rose,

    1st December 2010, finally after 2 years of thought have finally got my lingual braces today. went to the same old orth last week, He said the same thing ie braces after removal of 4 teeth.I dont know what made him change his mind, he examined, took pictures and said it's not necessary to extract all 4 at once. He said he'd remove one first and see the result and gradually remove more that is the rest 3 if and when required along the way. so i had my upper set of braces today and got my left premolar extracted on the bottom set.it is kind of painful and feels very odd to have metal in my mouth, i think i will cope very well thanks to you, for giving me all the information i had to know regarding pain and discomfort. as you said, i even made sure i checked for loose ends in my wire with my finger and not my tongue :)

    btw i dint get incognito, it looks like it is just regular square braces but fitted on the inside.i hope they work well.the orth said this is how they do it here, the whole treatment for 18-24 month is costing me around 80,000 Indian rupees which is about 1200 Pounds. I have been asked to come back in 3-4 for the lower set of braces.

    about a 15 line response to you about my situation has made me tired already, have to let you know that you are a star. Turst me, your videos and the blog has been of great help. i've watched every single video of yours till the 20th, love the way how you carry yourself and love the way you always do it with a smile on your face in spite of all the pain and discomfort.

    Could see a real difference in the before and after snaps of yours in video 20, it looks great. will keep you updated about my progress if that is ok.

    You have been a great inspiration.thanks a lot
    Jads

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rose

    I review your lengual braces post.It's very useful and informative. But can you please let me know your are Orthodontics or not.

    ReplyDelete